Machinist at BAE Systems

Preston
20th April 2016

8.2/10

Machinist. Monday to Wednesday I would work with the lads in the business machining, they would teach me the tricks of the trade and how to machine. If i have any questions I would ask them and they would answer to the best of their ability. I don't get given set responsibilities I would just do any work that is available to keep me busy and to enhance my learning. Thursdays is a college day.

I am gaining my qualification as i go along, level 3 cnc milling. I have done a few little courses such as working with Satwhipes. I feel I have learnt a lot on how to machine, how businesses run and just general engineering skills. I would like to get onto more courses but i am unavailable to at the time.

I really enjoy my programme. The team is always very good, wherever i am in the business. The company is good add incorporating apprentices. BAE has meet the expectations I had.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

I feel that in most places i am valued like a worker. Everyone treats you with the respect you would expect.

The programme is well organised. You are always given a proper induction. They always give you time to study and support you in everything you do. I am always checked on throughout my apprenticeship to ensure i am happy and doing well.

A lot i am visited at least once a month to ensure everything is going well. The tutor will always ask the questions to check that i am happy with everything.

I feel i get a pretty good amount of support from my manager. I feel that there could be more support sometimes. my mentor always supports me well as does the manger on my placements. my mentor helps me well with any guidance i may need.

The salary is a good on it covers all costs. Although it is unfair how travelling cost doesn't alter for the distance you travel it's just a set amount.

There are several activities available outside of BAE. such as all the ones on the list. I do not attend any as i just go to other things outside and not related to work. But the opportunities are there if i wanted to go to any.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

I enjoy BAE i think it is a good company and i think that it is a very good apprenticeship which has tought me a lot. It will really help me in my engineering future.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Keep relaxed. Research into the company. Revise for the tests they give you. Do as much outside of education as you can before applying, such as D of E and volunteering. I feel everything was covered in my on-boarding.