Business Management Apprentice at BAE Systems

Warton
20th April 2016

7.1/10

I am a Commercial Apprentice and have had Estimating and Contracts placements. In my current role I am trusted to put together important documentation and contact other people around the company. I do have responsibility over work allocated to me, however would like to have more interaction with the customer.

I have learnt a lot of new skills, through my placements and also extra activities. My new skills include excel through my qualification at college, presenting confidently and leadership skills. I am also a STEM Ambassador which has taught me managerial skills.

I enjoy the programme the majority of the times. I have made great apprentice friends and have also fit in well with all my teams. I have learnt a lot, however can sometimes be repetitive.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

I always feel valued when completing work. My line manager always thanks me and when she is off drops me an email to let me know I'm doing well. I am also by my assessor and placement manager offered frequent opportunities outside the office, this makes me feel valued.

I feel the organisation could improve, as during the training stage there was some waiting around when filling in paper work. I also believe the NVQ objectives/targets could be more clear of deadlines. Also some reviews and presentations have been scheduled late indicating unorganisation.

I feel I am supported by the training team as I know I can email them if I need. They are keen to offer support at reviews, and make sure we are aware of the safe guarding and discrimination policies. However, I feel like more personal check ins could be made through phone or email more often.

I receive good support from my team always offering to help me with work. I have very little contact with the HR team but believe they would support me if I contacted them. I would feel comfortable to talk to my manager if I had any problems.

I believe the salary is good for an apprenticeship and for people of our age. I do believe more extras could be provided to cover our travel cost and lunch times and it should be raised to minimum wage for the amount of work we do. However, I do have enough for all aspects of living.

There are loads of opportunities to get involved in outside of BAE Systems. I have personal been involved in Prince's Trust, Charity events, STEM Ambassador events. Opportunities are widely spread across the business, giving everyone an equal opportunity.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

I think the job is enjoyable and the qualification we receive makes it worth while. It also has good prospects and opportunities, along with a good salary.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

My main tip would be to get knowledgeable about the scheme, about BAE Systems in general and also know some historic/ interesting facts about the work we do. Once on the scheme I would say take every opportunity that is offered to expand your learning.