Engineering Apprentice - Technician at BAE Systems

Preston
20th April 2016

9.9/10

I am a first year engineering apprentice, recently specialising in a technical role. I have developed valuable skills in; fitting, electronic, electrical, machining, CAD and many other skills such as, life skills applicable outside of the business. I have undertaken several projects in my time here so far. This includes the design and production of a cross section of a jet engine, not to scale, incorporating all the skills I have developed

Throughout my time so far I have acquired understanding of electrical, wiring plugs, lights etc, electronic, soldering and small circuits, fitting, manufacturing aircraft access panels and machining, manufacturing various pieces on both milling and turning, CAD, designing everything from a basic box to something as complex as the Lancia Delta HF Integrale.

I enjoy the work, it's nice to have a mixture of hands on, physical jobs, combined with computer jobs. And the staff are fantastic. All the other apprentices are excellent people and are all very friendly and willing to help when they can. The company culture is excellent,, especially compared to my last job. This scheme has both met then exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to anyone with a mind for engineering, and even those who don't, the instructors will give you as much of their time as they can, and even when they can't they will still endeavour to aid you

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

All the instructors hold us to a high esteem and respect us, as we do them. When outside speakers come in they also offer appreciation for our role within the company and praise in abundant. I felt that I was personally valued and the instructors were able to play to my strengths and help me develop on my weaknesses.

Our program is excellent, it is tried and tested due to the years it has been running and shaped by the previous apprentices to make it better for us, as we do for the next years intake. The program was very well organised and we always know what to do and how to do it, thanks to the quality of the education delivered by experienced instructors.

They are eager to hear of any and all concerns you have and are not dismissive, even if you believe them to be daft. The accessibility is spot on, due to everyone being very approachable and empathetic. I have enjoyed the support I have received. As stated prior

It is considered better than most providers, and for a 16 year old I am sure it would be ample however, if any prior financial commitments exist then it can be a struggle to keep up

As of yet there has not been, but we have the community outreach program coming up and I understand that these opportunities are more abundant during our 2nd year so I believe there are.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

Even if you have no base understanding of engineering you can develop an excellent foundation in a short period of time, with a good promised final salary and the ability to travel, what's not to like.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Do not fail the manual dexterity test, prior to the interview, review your application and be sure to be confident on your stated topics, if you don't get it the first time, apply again next year, there are a few in my intake who have applied more than once.