Design Apprentice at BAE Systems

Barrow in Furness

My role as a Design apprentice is to learn how to produce engineering drawings for production as well as producing 3d models on CAD for testing purposes.

The new skills I have developed are wide ranging. I have developed skills in manufacturing such as pipe work and electrical circuits. I have also developed hand drawing skills and furthered my skills in producing CAD models.

I have found this programme to extremely enjoyable. I get different challenges every day that help me to further my skills and to become a better designer.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

BAE Systems does a great job of ensuring that I feel valued as a part of the company and not just an apprentice. They ensure that if I do a good job that it is recognised and recorded.

The structure for the programme is very clear and understandable. It consists of a year in college learning the necessary skills to be able to come on site. Then the remainder is a mix of designer and engineers placements.

I have constant support from my training provider as they ensure that I have everything I need to get the job done. As well as providing extra support if needed.

I get a lot of support from my employer and they are always understanding if I have a problem. As well as providing extra support, if needed.

The salary I receive is competitive to other similar apprenticeships in my area and ensures that I can have a good standard of living. It also has pay increases if I meet targets.

I am currently a STEM ambassador and this enables me to not only represent the company away from work but also gives me an opportunity to inspire young people.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

This apprenticeship has given me a great opportunity to grow as a person and become more confident. While at the same time providing me with amazing career prospects and progression.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Always ensure that you do your research before applying. BAE Systems is a large company with many different products and services. Also ensure that you are enthusiastic about what role you are applying for.