apprentice civil engineer at Mott MacDonald

Southampton
£230 weekly
7th April 2016

3.9/10

my daily roles involve sending emails, looking at road and traffic data to use as evidence for maintenance schemes. also have to fill out lot of documents.

over the course of working here I have undertaken a lot of training course to develop my skills and progress my career. I am currently learning new skills from a pavement aspect.

I really like the team I work with however I do not enjoy the work I am given and find it very tedious and non exciting. this does not meet my expectations from what was said about the apprenticeship when I signed up.

4. How valued do you feel by Mott MacDonald?

not much praise is given at work, reminded that I am better suited for tasks for cheaper labour. do get given tasks that do require more responsibility.

not entirely organised as I spent a lot of the first few months not having any work to do, no study time for college work. sometimes ill have lots of work other times ill have none.

receive a little bit of help from my college however I have found that some of the teacher have a severe lack of knowledge around key subjects and found I had to teach the class most of the time.

my manager does give me some praise but only in performance meetings which happen once a year, doesn't talk to me much or make interactions, sat away form my team.

my salary does meet living costs as well as travel costs to get to and from work. I do also have some money left over to have a social life as well outside of work

yes there are lots of opportunities such as sports and social events where fun activities outside of work happen. there is also a 5 a side football match every Wednesday and Thursday lunch times.

9a. Would you recommend Mott MacDonald to a friend? *

I found that its very much luck of the draw with enjoying your time here as other apprentices who started after me have had many more opportunities than I have and have learnt more skills.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Mott MacDonald? *

make sure that you are well prepared for the interview process as it is very hard to become a successful applicant for the job role. act as yourself and if you feel you wont fit in then look else where.