Civil Apprentice at Mott MacDonald

Manchester
6th April 2016

7.9/10

I am a civil apprentice. My job is to carry out the work I am set by engineers around my firm. These tasks range from amending drawings in the office to taking photos on site. Most of the time I am in the office sat at my computer carrying out whatever I am set.

I am working towards a level 3 diploma in civil engineering. So far outside of this I have learnt how to use drawing software such as AutoCAD 2015.

So far I am enjoying the programme. I enjoy working with a team of people. A variety of people set me work which enables me to meet new people.

4. How valued do you feel by Mott MacDonald?

I feel valued whenever I am set work which is most of the time. I know the work I am doing is making an impact within a project.

The Induction could have been organised better. Software training (like CAD) would have been helpful. I get to move around every 6 months which has been done once now, this was organised okay.

A lot, I get monthly visits from them in which I talk about how the apprenticeship is going and they review my progress. They are helping me get another level 3 qualification as well.

I know who to contact when I need support and my manager would be willing to support me if I had any issues. I had a buddy for 6 weeks when starting which was a help.

I drive to work which is 15 miles and I live with my parents so costs are well balanced. however I would not be able to afford my own apartment with my current salary.

There are lots of social events usually on. everyone receives emails about these. There are also clubs like badminton and other sports which I attend.

9a. Would you recommend Mott MacDonald to a friend? *

Because I am enjoying working for them at the moment and they treat staff well. It is also a well known firm and is respected by other firms.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Mott MacDonald? *

Be yourself at the interview. Answer honestly to the questions in the application process and make sure you have work experience with other construction firms before applying.