Electrical Techincal Apprentice at EDF Energy

Heysham
22nd March 2016

7.8/10

My role as an electrical apprentice involves assisting the technicians on their jobs, learning as much as i can from them by taking a proactive attitude to every job and to fill out the arelevant paperwork to show that i am competent in a certain job.

Over the course of my apprenticeship I have learnt many new skills that help me with my job, like inspecting and testing various pieces of equiptment, I have also developed my practical skills.

The apprenticeship that i am on offers many opportunities for learning and improving, and i am thoroughly enjoying all of the things that come with the job.

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

EDF Energy have a very good relationship with their employees and value everyone, and you can see the effects this has in the work as it is always done with such a high standard.

The programme for apprentices is as follows: two years in Portsmouth training and then a further two years on site to develop learning. I think that this structure is very good but could be improved.

Our apprentice co-ordinator gives a lot of attention to all of the apprentices,helping when needed and always keeping in touch which is helpful.

My employer gives me a lot of support in whatever aspect of the job that i may need it in, for example, if i needed training in a certain area he would offer that help to me

For an apprentice, my wage is good and i am able to live off of it comfortably. Since it improves every year, it is getting better and better as time goes on as i get more experienced.

For an apprentice, there are many opportunities outside work to help out, for instance, sometimes we do talks in schools which the apprentices co-ordinate, although i have not been involved in these.

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend? *

I would reccomend EDF energy to a friend because they are very good employers, paying every member well and offering support whenever it is needed.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy? *

The tip that i would give to an aspiring apprentice would be to make sure that you have a little bit of practical experience before you start as it helps a lot.