Maintenance Technicians at BMW Group

Oxford
15th March 2016

Connect with BMW Group

6.1/10

I am an engineering maintenance apprentice and I am given several different placement roles throughout my apprenticeship. At the moment I am currently in a technicial placement which involved the auditing of vehicles to ensure that they are fault free.

I have learned several new skills during the apprenticeship program including the use of machinary such as lathes and milling machines. I have also widened my experience with electrical training carried out in the first year of my apprencticeship

I Enjoy coming to work everyday which encourages me to learn more whiulst I am at work. The incentive to earn whilst you learn is also a big encouragement to succeed in everyday challenges.

4. How valued do you feel by BMW Group?

As an apprentice I feel that you have to work hard to be given encouragement and support from some employees however i feel that this is a good way to encourage me to work harder.

Our placement are usually based on 6 week or 3 month placements. Sometimes this can change close to the end of placements and cause confusion. Meetings can also sometimes be arranged and only heard of through 'word of mouth'.

Birmingham Metropolitan College provide training for BMW. Sometimes things can be unorganised and not scheduled. BMET provide a good level of education but provide a different approach to the way things are organised.

It isnt often that I see my employer whilst i am working on placement so they rely on feedback from maintenance teams that I work with.

The salary is a good wage to be earning especially if your are one of the younger apprentices. The pay rises offered are also a good incentive to wokr hard and do well.

Not many opportunities occur outside of work. There are events such as careers events but there are usually a set amount of apprentices that go to those events.

9a. Would you recommend BMW Group to a friend? *

BMW group apprentiseships are a good way to learn and develop existing skills whilst also earning at the same time. There is also the possiblilty of gaining a job after the apprenticeship.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BMW Group? *

Its definitively worth the effort to put in during the application stage as these are some of the most testings exams. It is also vital that you can apply yourself to various different activities.