Mechatronics Advanced Apprentice at Vauxhall

Ellesmere Port

Connect with Vauxhall

7.9/10

I am a Mechatronics Maintenance Engineering Apprentice. As I am in my first year my day-to-day tasks include learning and practicing many different aspects of electrical and mechanical theories and systems. The things that I am learning are building up my knowledge to be able to fault find and conduct other job related tasks safely and to the bets of my ability.

I have learned many new skills such as fault finding techniques and safe isolation of systems before working. I am at the moment working towards two different qualifications; BTEC Level 3 120-Credit Diploma in Engineering and the EAL Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering. These qualifications are providing me with vital knowledge that I will take with me into the factory after I have finished the first year of my apprenticeship in college.

All of the topics that I am studying are exactly what I am interested in and so I always look forward to learning new things and expanding on my knowledge. The other apprentices that I am working with have similar interests to me and so I get along with them very well, making my time at college very enjoyable and rewarding.

4. How valued do you feel by Vauxhall?

When I have spent time working in the factory I have always been given tasks to complete and I have always felt valued by the managers and other employees that I have seen and spoken to when working.

There is a lot of work to be done and some areas of the qualifications require much more time and effort to be put in to complete. I think that the college could have allowed us to have more guided learning hours for some units as some have overlapped to the next term and taking away valuable time that would have been helpful for other units. Other than this there has been good organisation with units being taught in the same terms that are very similar to each other and so it is easier to focus on certain types of work.

I think that I am given adequate support from West Cheshire College for my learning, however I believe that feedback on work that I have submitted could be sent to me quicker so that I can improve on things that I have maybe got confused about and so that I know what I have done well and can use this feedback to maintain a high standard of work.

If I ever encounter a problem with my personal life or work life then I know that I can contact my employer and openly discuss any issues.

Extremely well. I do not have to travel a long distance to work and so I can easily afford to pay for fuel for my car, insurance and road tax.

I have found out that because of the company I work for I can obtain a discounted gym membership at certain facilities. I have not been made aware of any activities outside of work such as charity events but I hope if there are any that I could be a part of them in the future.

9a. Would you recommend Vauxhall to a friend? *

The apprenticeship scheme I am on is a fantastic opportunity and would recommend anyone to apply as I am now gaining fantastic skills and will acquire brilliant qualifications to help benefit me and Vauxhall in the future. It is a great working environment and atmosphere when I have been in the factory and I am looking forward to start there in July.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Vauxhall? *

I would tell them to let Vauxhall know how their skills and achievements can benefit the company and to be confident, friendly and to always smile.