Maintenance Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

Solihull
£400 weekly
13th March 2016

8.0/10

I am a maintenance apprentice, and this involves training on robotics, automation, PLC use and diagnostics. It is our job to assist the skilled members of the team, and also to pick up information from them about the equipment, based on their experience.

i Have developed los of skills, the main skill: being able to relax, you dont understand the true meaning of relaxed until you have worked extremely hard for very long hours, as our job quite often requires

The programme itself and the planning/ organisation of it, is not great. however I am loving being on a Jaguar Land Rover apprenticeship.

I Feel extremely valued by the team of co-workers that i work alongside, however I feel like a hindrance to the apprentice team.

Initially the structure was great, first 12 months at college, but it became apparent that when we came on site, these skills were not very relevant, and the skills we would need were a lot more demanding on us. so although we had been given key base knowledge, we were still left lacking certain crucial knowledge. which i have had to pick up from the job. something some apprentices seem to struggle with.

we have changed training providers, but so far they have been great, but we thought it was great with our previous providers until it became apparent they had not been doing what they should have to push us towards passing our course

We all receive a lot of support from JLR, which is excellent, as they have made us feel needed, which is more than just feeling wanted.

to begin with it only just covered it, however now it is certainly more than adequate, once shifts are added on top.

yes, I have had a lot of interest from various companies outside of work, based on outside jobs that I have done.

the company itself is a fabulous company to work for, however i would not recommend the apprentice scheme, based on my experience.

Be yourself, remain calm, if you do not know answers to questions during the application process DO NOT answer them, as wrong answers are marked badly against you.