Apprentice Exams Officer at Academies Enterprise Trust

Greater London
£6 monthly
February 2014

Connect with Academies Enterprise Trust

Exams Officer- My role as an exams officer varied. This is the sort of work I did throughout my apprenticeship. I managed the invigilators and the school examinations; GSCE and A-Level entries and exams (Nov and June) including the oral language assessments ensuring all students are entered for the correct exams. Being thrown in the deep end of this job I had to fire fight throughout June 2013 exams in order to receive accurate results. I have self-taught myself in managing the exams using my initiative as well as complying with the rules & regulations of the exams protocols and the schools codes of conduct. I liaise with people daily both internally and externally such as 6 exam boards, teachers, students, staff and parents. I dealt with enquiries & complaints via e-mail, face to face and over the phone, pre-planning the exams, seating and venue arrangements for examinations and results day, maintaining the security of incoming & outgoing test papers as well as keep confidentiality and data protection. I conduct all the exams,worked towards meeting strict deadlines. Used SIMS & Exams organiser that hold students information on the system, creating mark sheets for exam entries, withdrawals, amendments, downloading the A-level, GSCE, BTEC results via EDI system (A2C). Managing, checking and distribution Examination results/certificates and booking invigilators.

Yes I have learned and enhanced my existing skills. I have developed my existing skills on how to keep organised and prioritise a workload which I think is really important when working in a busy environment. Learnt how to deal and solve a business problem, had received external training which was provided by the exam board and gained a functional skills qualification in level 1, Math, IT and English.

I have enjoyed this programme as it tested my ability of working within a very busy environment and be able to undertake an apprenticeship.

4. How valued do you feel by Academies Enterprise Trust?

As an exams officer i felt valued as this is an important role. Staff are lovely and have praised me for my hard work and effort.

The programme structure was ok. To start off with it would say it wasn't great as confused of what to do but then further on the course I was able to ask questions and received a lot of support from my lovely assessor who pushed me to complete this programme.

My training provider have been lovely and supportive throughout my functional skills test as they took the time in to conducting a mock test. Also if I ever had a question and were to e-mail, i would receive a quick response.

My assessor has been fantastic throughout the whole course. When I was unsure of any questions I would ask my assessor to indicate me in the right direction.

When I was on the Exams officer wage it helped me a lot financially. As for the apprenticeship wage is wasn't doing nothing for me as it was costing me more to come to work as there is a bit of a distance from where I live.

Yes this has opened up so many doors to my career path and due to my experience I have received a lot of calls and interviews so it has helped.

9. Would you recommend Academies Enterprise Trust to a friend?

Working with AET is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience and also gain a qualification. They are helpful and lovely and i would do it all over again!

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Academies Enterprise Trust?

Be well organised and prepared. Make sure you're communication and written skills are updated and express yourself to why you'd like to apply with the AET.