Integration Technician at Jaguar Land Rover

Warwickshire
8th March 2016

6.4/10

I am a student at trident college, completing a foundation degree in engineering, whilst also part of the electrical integration team at JLR. I get to test and review the electrical systems spanning the whole of the car.

I have learnt hand fitting techniques as well as how to fully utilise a lathe. I am to complete more workshop activities. I have also developed my knowledge of electronics and network architecture.

My time at college is some what dull due to covering material I have already completed prior to joining the scheme as well as some teaching issues. The time I have spent in industry however has made me excited for the future

At the college, I do not feel very well valued, and am treated almost like a secondary school student. At jaguar Land Rover, I am well respected and feel appreciated by my colleagues. We are trusted with real responsibilities.

I do not think it is very well organised, but it is quite new. The main issue I find is with the lack of connection between the college and the company itself. This dilutes the experience somewhat.

Within college, support is on a teacher to teacher basis, and some subjects offer a lot of support whereas others do not provide as much. Sometimes, the need for help is dismissed as ignorance on the students part.

At JLR, there is a lot more support available for almost everything, the company offers many learning opportunities and amenities to support our health, both physically and mentally.

The salary package is excellent, and as I understand is one of the highest for this type of apprenticeship. I do not have an issue with it, though some who are new to the large income are not too responsible and therefore believe otherwise.

Yes, the company has a CSR department who offer a wide variety of events for the community as well as working in partnership with companies to help promote engineering. Involvement is offered and encouraged for us apprentices.

The company takes care of its employees very well, and the people here are very friendly and helpful. They are also offering an excellent opportunity for people interested in engineering and will support you all the way.

A good attitude to work is more appreciated then academic prowess here. Involving yourself with activities to help develop these will improve your chances of impressing interviewers and getting onto the course. Do not neglect your studies though!