Design CAD Modeller at Jaguar Land Rover

Gaydon

8.0/10

I work in Design Model Operations, which is primarily a CAD designer role. I design parts that are used on models that are used at car shows etc. I am given a lot of responsibility to do my job to the correct standard, and ensure I finish the part within the time constraint.

So far I have gained a Foundation Degree with distinction from Warwickshire College, as well as really developing my CAD skills which I use every day for my job. Through the Employee Learning Scheme, I have also started rally driving.

Having started at Warwick University studying Applied Engineering, and with my current job role I am really enjoying the programme. I continue to be challenged, and encouraged to progress and develop my skills, whilst earning.

I feel like a valued member of the team, as I contribute to the workload and do have some experience that others occasionally draw upon. I am involved in most projects currently running at Jaguar Land Rover.

Induction into the programme was a dull experience when I started in 2013, however it has improved significantly since then. Organisation isn't the best, and still leaves room for improvement when it comes to communication, and the organisation of the qualifications etc. I wouldn't say it's bad enough to be a dealbreaker though, and they do seem to be actively making an effort to improve.

Warwick University aren't the most attentive of training suppliers, but they do give you plenty of opportunity to flag up problems with feedback forms etc. although we don't get any feedback on our feedback, or hear about changes being made as a result.

Industrial Training Managers meet with you regularly to discuss progress and any problems/feedback you have, and are more than happy to chat/discuss everything with you.

My wage comfortably met my living costs (I moved away from home at the start of the apprenticeship). The area is generally expensive to rent/buy but again, the wage is easily sufficient to meet this. Managing to save money and enjoy a good social life. Pay rises every 6 months are a good incentive to do well and meet targets as well.

I have taken part in a few different Corporate Social Responsibility events, for example helping a local school renovate their outdoor areas. I have also taken part in the JLR challenge which is a weekend activity race event which was good fun. As previously mentioned, the Employee Learning Scheme provides money towards any kind of learning/training outside of work, which I used for rally driving. Not many team building events though.

JLR offer great training, and good job roles in a great industry. Having always been interested in cars it was the obvious choice for me. The salary is also very good, with good progression.

With regards to the application process, most people I've spoken to seem to have had some kind of "project". In my case that was a classic mini that I learnt to drive in, which I maintained and upgraded. Others had motorbikes, mountain bikes etc. Not to say if you don't have one you won't get in though! Good to show application of practical skills though.