Axle Concepts and Chassis Systems Integration Loads Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

2010
Coventry

7.0/10

I am an apprentice in Axle Concepts and Chassis Systems Integration. My daily tasks include running simulations of the powerunit to assess the loads that are placed on the engine mounts of a vehicle and how the powerunit moves. I also interact with the programmes team to help ensure that future programmes are progressing on time and that the requirements for those programmes are being met. I interact internally with the 3 other members of my team and also with my manager and senior staff around the business who occasionally request work from me. I am completely responsible for the powerunit work for my platform and people request it directly from me. Every day I will get to work and then check my emails, and if there is no urgent work resulting from that then I will continue with my daily tasks of updating powerunits and ongoing development work ensuring that programmes are progressing on time. I worked on a large project which involved correlating the powerunit simulations to the data which was collected for a vehicle in real life to ensure that we were producing accurate results.

I have completed NVQ 2s in practical hands on engineering skills and also completed a foundation degree in engineering. I am currently studying for a full BEng at the university of Warwick. I have also learnt skills on the job in the office such as progressing my problem solving skills and microsoft excel skills, as well as learning specialist simpack skills.

I enjoy parts of the work that I am doing. The programmes side of things which I am doing as a placement I do not enjoy but it is eye opening and expands my skills for which I am grateful. The analysis side of my job and Warwick university are very enjoyable.

I feel very valued by Jaguar Land Rover, especially when people individually approach me for help to solve a problem they are having. My manager values me as a part of his team and when I am out for a week at university they struggle without me to get all the work completed.

The programme is well structured. We were gently introduced to the programme through doing a foundation degree, and then this has ramped up in the last 6 months as we have started at Warwick University. A lot of the structure is down to the individual managers to organise their apprentices as the overall apprenticeship scheme does little to organise us when we are in plant. However overall it is a well structured programme.

I receive very little support from my training provider. I meet up with my training manager once every 6 weeks for a brief meeting to ensure that everything is okay, however I do not feel that this is enough contact time with them to solve any issues.

I receive minimum support from my training provider and constantly have to ask for help with work and for further training opportunities. I am not given time in work to complete any university revision which leaves a lot of work to do outside of work which I do not enjoy and find very stressful.

My salary is absolutely fantastic. I live very comfortably and even have bought a house and currently paying a mortgage and still manage to save 20% of my salary each month. This part of the apprenticeship scheme is absolutely fantastic.

There are a few opportunities outside of work to participate in. There is an Employee Learning Scheme which is brilliant as it pays for us to have £200 hours of a learning activity of our choice. Last year I used it to have private climbing tuition which was very fun. When I'm not working I am usually doing university work or climbing.

I find the apprenticeship scheme too stressful and there is far too much work a lot of which I don't find enjoyable. However the pay is fantastic and I will be in not university debt so it is hard to tell if I would recommend it as there are huge positives and negatives.

I would tell people to prepare thoroughly and really brush up on their maths skills, as well as researching and gaining a really good understanding of how vehicles work and an in depth knowledge into vehicle systems. If you are applying you need to be very motivated and prepared to work very hard and study hard for university and work. You need to consider the responsibility and work that comes from completing and undergraduate review, and then imagine doing that on top of 37 hours of work each week. If you are prepared to work hard then the rewards are fantastic and it is a really great start to your career.