Test Rig Fitter at Jaguar Land Rover

Coventry
£230 weekly
7th March 2016

6.8/10

Test Rig Fitter in Structured Test Labs. I fit machines and car components to be tested and then help set up equipment for engineers to collect data. I haven't started any projects yet as I'm in my first year.

I have developed my engineering understand and know how to use tools in the correct way. I have improved my physics.

I enjoy the practical aspects the most, workshop days seem the most fun because I am a more practical person. I don't mind the classes because its all relevant to my job role.

I do feel a certain level of value, however we are looked down on by higher apprentices and the staff also see us as second class apprentices in comparison. I think more should be done to make advanced apprentices feel valued.

As an apprentice we are not fully aware of the subjects we will undertake on our chosen pathway until the day we have to begin. Students are expected to be very organised and tutors are very lacking in basic organisation.

I don't feel as if I've needed to get support from the training provider as I'm handling the apprenticeship well. However if I ever did need help I'm sure it would be easily accessible.

We get educated and paid at the same time so they do support us well. The HR department is really good and quick to respond and help us.

I'm a more mature apprentice so I have been struggling to manage but I'm good with money management so can still pay my mortgage. Younger apprentices have a massive disposable income. It is met but met more for some than others.

There are many opportunities to volunteer and develop yourself. JLR have an Employee learning scheme to help provide further personal development outside of work.

Great company to work for, well looked after, well paid, prestigious company. Haven't got a bad word to say other than go for the higher apprenticeship as you get treated better.

Jaguar Landrover are looking at behaviours you display, so focus on your attitude to learning and how you treat others. Quality focus is also key, do not write the minimum but don't write useless information. Be a good communicator.