Cost Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Birmingham
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
7th March 2016

8.8/10

On a day to day basis I work in the Cost engineering department, I have my own projects to work on and get involved in company wide initiatives. I'm responsible for my own time, etc and feel trusted within the organisation.

I complete a foundation degree in engineering, foundation competencies and I'm participating in the trailblazer scheme. Not just this we have the opportunity to complete multiple internal and external training courses - I have recently been on a negotiation training course which is nationally recognised and looks great on my CV. All of my managers are very supportive of this additional training.

I enjoy the time in work more than the time in college, the college can be a little mundane where as work is much more varied. That said the working day is long because of commuting times so can reduce enjoyment. It has generally been as I expected an apprenticeship to be.

I feel extremely valued by the business, a real team member. The projects I work on/ deliver are shared with senior directors and I'm often involved / invited to team costing events.

The programme, from a work prospective is very well organised - I rotate around departments and get a broad overview of the business and it's functions. However the learning in the first two years has been a little bumpy with some timetabling issues. I hear that it improves when we move into the university phase.

We have a work based manager who interacts between our line manager and college/university and this is great, she always tries her best to help support our learning/work balance - raising concerns we have.

Jaguar Land Rover generally offer good support, especially through our line managers. We get time in work to complete assignments and we have 1:1 reviews to ensure we meet our objectives and develop to our full potential.

The salary at Jaguar Land Rover is competitive and as such covers all associated costs well. The costs of living near to my main office is high but I have chosen to commute. Having an apprenticeship here has enabled me to buy my own home.

There often departmental activities to take part in, these include paint balling and go karting. Not just this, there is an onsite gym and many wider social group to get involved in.

It is a growing business producing exciting products and it's great to be part of it. The apprenticeship is challenging but you get a lot out of it; a full applied engineering degree, corporate personal development & a good salary.

Ensure that your honest with yourself and don't try and be anyone your not. The process includes psychometric tests and an assessment centre with interview so I would advise anyone to get some interview experience and ensure they practice psychometric tests.