Cost Engineering Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

Coventry
Sponsored Degree Programme

8.0/10

I'm allocated to the cost engineering department, my daily tasks include research based projects, evaluation of supplier quotes and piece cost estimation. I have regular interactions with suppliers, attending sourcing meetings, cost negotiations and specification reviews. I have limited responsibility as every 4 months I go to a different team as part of my training plan.

Foundation Degree in applied engineering NVQ Level 3 Supplier led external training in leather processing, PIM, casting, stamping etc. Internal IT training on CAPPe, teamcentre, microsoft packages, vis mockup etc

The tasks I get involved in vary from one month to the next, which keeps the programme interesting and engaging. The atmosphere within the teams at JLR is very positive, a lot of people really back the apprenticeship programme, investing a lot of time in training. I very much enjoy the scheme, there are aspects which need improvement, but the vast majority exceeds expectations.

The management within cost engineering closely manage apprentices in the department, they are aware of the work we get involved in and recognise the work being done. I've had 2 recognition awards so far, for my involvement in supporting L462 seating sourcing and for achieving a distinction in a University costing course I was enrolled on.

The structure and organisation develops year on year, as the 2012 cohort was the first major intake of apprentices, we experienced a few issues initially, however the whole process is much smoother now. The support system in place and training programme as a whole is very comprehensive.

My current academic training provider is Warwick University (BEng), I have found their general attitude and ability to deal with problems the cohort have raised has been very disappointing. The foundation degree delivered by Warwickshire College was at a much higher standard.

I receive a great deal of support from my employer, the managers and mentors I've had so far have been very able and willing to provide what ever guidance I need.

The salary is very good, and the process for claiming expenses is quick and simple.

There aren't many department events (1-2 a year), however the company does provide £200 per annum for external activities. JLR regularly supports CSR events at schools and colleges which provides opportunities to promote apprenticeships.

The apprenticeship programme salary is one of the best available, the training and work experience gained over 6 years will set you up for a career in engineering.

The application process is very straight forward, but I would have like to have been told not to worry about slow response times, it takes JLR a long time to determine which apprentices have been successful at each stage.