Apprentice Groundworker/Civil Engineer at Costain

Gwent

8.2/10

I started as an apprentice groundworker but having nearly complete that I am currently making a start on my LEVEL 3 civil engineering apprenticeship by assisting engineers on a day to day basis. this involves setting out for tasks and writing permits.

I Have learnt how to lay concrete to certain finishes, set drainage profiles to a gradients and use instruments such as a GPS.

I actually love my job. I love waking up in the mornings to come to work.

4. How valued do you feel by Costain?

Higher costain employees trust me with fair responsibilities which makes me feel very valued by them.

This is the third apprenticeship I have taken part in and by far the most organised in regards to the company sorting out college days and courses for us.

Our training provider see's us nearly every week and is always asking if there are any problems and offering support.

This section of the comment has been removed by a member of the RateMyApprenticeship Team because it did not meet our site terms and conditions my line manager is constantly in touch via email or in person to make sure is on point.

I think although I am an apprentice I carry out just as many tasks as those who are qualified. However, we are paid very generous compared to other first year apprentices.

Around this time last year Costain put me through a construction ambassadors course which now allows me to deliver presentation and attend career fairs outside of work in order to help those who are unsure in school or college.

9a. Would you recommend Costain to a friend? *

Because there are constantly opportunities to develop my own skills within the company and expand to higher job roles.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Costain? *

Research the company as much as you can to have a good knowledge about their current projects and backgrounds.