Work Experience at Pinsent Masons

2010
Birmingham

Connect with Pinsent Masons

7.4/10

My work was very mixed, I had to research various cases, suggest and provide recommendations to clients as well as taking and condensing notes as a reference sheet. Generally it was office work at a desk, much like the role that is a solicitor, my responsibilities we making sure I met the deadlines which I did, we also had a variety of presentations on law and the company itself.

I have developed analytics in the sense on the first day I when looking at a variety of legal documents I didn't know what was and what wasn't relevant however by the last day I felt I was comfortable picking out key factors of law furthermore I felt I was able to contextualise factors of law by looking at cases and seeing the interpretation and practical application of law.

I felt the programme was very well structured, I thought every one working there was very enthused and generally there was a pleasant atmosphere. I thought the tasked varied however I accept the realism of being a solicitor is that there are long hours in which you will do work you enjoy and dislike and in a sense the experience didn't sensationalise the role which I in fact preferred as I could see myself for sure working in a legal role more so now.

4. How valued do you feel by Pinsent Masons?

I would say different levels of value by different supervisors. But they were all working people in there job roles and all have different personalities, of course I preferred it when I was told my work was really well done, but I accept that there's different attitudes in the workplace therefore I felt valued to an extent.

I thought it was structured and organized very well and this is one of it's strongest points. I felt this as I rarely if ever lacked work. Furthermore there were various presentations at the start of each day which I felt some were useful as a mediator to let you comfortably start the day and learn about various factor of law at university or job level.

If this means mentor then it's a difficult answer as they were willing to provide support but I rarely took it as I wanted to figure it out on my own, I did ask questions but there was a lot of things which I wanted to stick at and understand which I then managed to and I think this is more effective.

I don't think this is applicable, but there was generally a good amount of support in each department, I met some of the partners and they were all friendly.

This isn't applicable however I noticed the gap year salary was £17,000, and £14,000 in London, I thought that would have been reversed, but I would say £17,000 is a good wage to earn before attending university defiantly.

I was involved in a couple event meetings, the first was the Pinsent Masons Mock Trial, in London which sounded interesting, they were deliberating on what judge to get from where and there advertising, then I sat in on a more informal meeting about a charity quiz night in March, which I made some questions for, therefore there seems to be a lot of opportunities.

9a. Would you recommend Pinsent Masons to a friend? *

I would if they were unsure about law because it made me more interested in law or made me understand more about what a career in it entails, specifically I thought Pinsent Masons was a nice environment and easily accessible physically.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Pinsent Masons? *

I didn't apply to Pinsent Masons but from what employees have told me just do some background research on the firm, be enthusiastic, polite and generally well informed and I think you'll be favoured, but I imagine you still need academics to an extent, which is usual in the industry of law.