Portfolio Management at RBS

Nottingham
18th February 2016

Connect with RBS

9.4/10

Apprentice Portfolio Manager. Role mostly consists of fiancial analysis, checking data that has been provided by a cutomer - making sure that they are meeting the requirements of their contract. Working with Relationship Managers, supporting them with any documents that they may neeed pre/post customer meetings. Arranging facilities for customers, i,e Overdrafts, Loans.

Developed a lot of skills. Such as: - Working with customers, understanding their needs and what they want from the arrangement. - IT. Having to use complex systems and programmes has enhanced by IT skills/abilities. - Working as a team. Totally new environment. Very professional so had to change approach. - Obviously financial analysis, spotting any discrepancies with data.

Really enjoy it. Work with great people. Great environment. Work isn't too tedious and there's always something new or different with every customer.

4. How valued do you feel by RBS?

I feel valued. Everybody understands that the apprentices are the future of the bank so invest a lot of their time is passing on their knowledge and skills.

It is well organised, managers all seem to be on the same page with what they think is required of us so its all consistent. BPP have structured it well in that we know where we are supposed to be with work at all times.

Was a shaky start as there was set backs with webinars and hand outs, but after that was sorted there have been no problems.

We get a load of support from BPP. This is through: - Webinars - Monthly telephone reviews - BPP Resource Centre - Seamless work with Chartered Banker

I get a lot of support from my line manager and the guys in my team. Everybody has a lot of knowledge so i've never felt lost with the work that I've been doing. Line manager will help and support me with anything and is considerate of the fact that this is something totally new to me. Also allowing me study time to work towards my Professional Banking Certificate.

For an apprenticeship it's fantastic, but it is relevant to the work we are doing because it is complex. Meets all my costs and allows for comfortable living.

Limited. Because the standard age of the employees in the bank is fairly high there isnt any sport opportunities outside of the bank. This doesnt mean that it has to carry on being like that, at the minute i'm organising a pub quiz for the office and large majority have got on board with it. I've also been on a few team outings after work.

9a. Would you recommend RBS to a friend? *

Great company to work for. A lot of benefits to working here, great career opportunities, lot of support from the bank itself, well organised, and theres a good atmosphere amongst colleagues.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to RBS? *

• Read up on the role. Don't expect to come into the bank and know everything straight away - you won't. It's a gradual process, everybody is constantly learning.
  • Make sure that you're good with numbers - it's a bank.
  • Know that this is what you want to do as it is a career, and although there are other areas but it's all related.
  • You get out of it what you put in. If you're not into networking, meeting new people or putting yourself out there then it's not for you.
  • Have to be self motivated. You're accountable for the work you do, if you don't complete the work you've set or said you would do then it has repercussions.
  • Need to be organised. Lots of different types of work going off and it's easy to become unorganised or start something, get preoccupied with something else and in turn not completing the original job.