Technical Apprentice at Leonardo

Luton
5th February 2016

Connect with Leonardo

8.0/10

I go to college and undertake a few qualifications. These are BTEC Level 3 extended diploma in engineering, a performing engineering operations in mechanical and electrical engineering and an ICT functional skills qualification. However, on a Friday I go into work and undertake many different tasks given to me. These are usually big tasks such as UAV design.

Lots of skills such as soldering and mathematical ability

I very much enjoy my work. The working atmosphere is brilliant and I have made many friends who I now regally see outside of work.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

I do feel valued as I know that given that our projects meet or exceed expectations they have a chance to be used as actual products in the company.

The overall structuring and organisation is handled to a mediocre degree. It can take a long time for a project to be started and if this was prepared prior to the apprenticeship then I would have a lot more work to do. However, I believe this will change once a placement has been started.

I receive a lot of support from my training provider and I can easily access information needed either through my boss or through my training providers.

I receive a lot of support including a mentor. I also have a boss who can sort out any problems I receive.

As a 16 year old, I don't have many bills and therefore my salary/package exceeds the money I need and therefore costs aren't really a problem at all

The company is constantly providing me with things to do outside work. Currently the company are looking for apprentices to attend schools in order to receive attention from the next year of apprentices

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

I have had no serious problems and the benefits top the negatives by such a factor that its stupid not to refer.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

I would have like to have been told that upon my apprenticeship my designated college would be Oaklands college, Welwyn Garden City instead of the Bedford college initially stated.