Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Business Apprentice at Leonardo

Edinburgh
February 2016

Connect with Leonardo

8.0/10

As an apprentice my day to day roles vary depending on which department I am working in. However, I am currently in Resource Management which requires a lot of communication with each engineering function to ensure we support them as best we can.

As part of my apprenticeship I move around all of the main departments throughout the company and learn lots of new skills "on the job". I have also been able to develop some of my existing skills such as time management, communication and teamwork. As well as this I am completing my HNC business course at college and have already completed my SVQ in Business and Administration level 3.

So far I have enjoyed my time as an apprentice. This is mainly because the work I carry out is usually varied which helps keep most tasks I do interesting. Also in each of the departments I have worked there is good teamwork which has made it easy to settle in.

4. How valued do you feel by Leonardo?

I feel that each department I have worked in so far has appreciated what I have to offer and this has been shown by my involvement in important tasks. As well as this I have received positive feedback from all of my end of placement reviews which makes me feel like I've done a good job.

Each apprentice has a designated placement plan which is based around which department you are likely to join after your apprenticeship. As a result of this each of your placements are tailored accordingly. However, some off these placements are organised at the last minute and as a result there is limited work.

At college there is limited support available but this is because you are only there once a week. However, if you do have any questions you can email the lecturers for their opinion and help. Also, I have completed my SVQ so do not require any support from that side of things anymore.

During my day to day tasks I am given all of the support I need from my placement supervisor and if I still have any problems they are more than happy to help. However, I have received very little support with regards to my final placement.

For an apprentice, even though I'm living a fair distance away from work greatly increases my traveling costs, I receive a good salary which more than helps cover my living costs.

You are heavily encouraged to take part in a number of different events and activates, both internally and externally. These events offer you the opportunity to do something different as well helping you build a profile within the business.

9a. Would you recommend Leonardo to a friend? *

This apprenticeship is a great opportunity for you to learn new skills, on the job, that will help further progress your career. As well as this it offers much more, such as: a good salary, company benefits and great working conditions.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Leonardo? *

Make sure that you take time and care in each of the application processes as first impressions are important.