Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Technology Apprentice at Costain

Sheffield
February 2016

8.0/10

Interaction with sub contractors, Projects - research, proposals and reports, works progress monitoring, surveys, electrical installations. a variety of roles to build experience.

Day to day work provides experience and knowledge building. Qualifications include; Behavioral safety management, LEAN efficiency, IPAF, SSL - CCTV, G39, student ambassador training.

I thoroughly enjoy it; it's nice to look forward to coming to work. I have enthusiasm for the job and it gives me a sense of achievement. I'm part of a good team, good project and good company.

4. How valued do you feel by Costain?

Highly valued! my responsibilities are increased at appropriate times along with my pay. I also receive praise from different levels when deserved. I was shortlisted for trainee of the year within the company.

Very much so, i have regular reviews regarding both work duties and educational development. Aspects are changed according to requirements. My progress is monitored regularly.

There have been issues with a lack of work based assessor, this has hopefully been rectified - Two work based assessors have been assigned at the learning provider.

All the support i need and more. it's reassuring to know i have so many people to turn to when needed. I'm also regularly asked about any issues that i may have.

After a a pay rise - more than acceptable. The company have also started paying my fuel expenses since moving further from home - This covers all the fuel i use.

Yes; Nights out are common, there are many charity nights/days, we have a team building day and Christmas parties. I have been allowed to volunteer for a local charity in work time.

9a. Would you recommend Costain to a friend? *

Joining Costain at 24 as an apprentice, i thought i'd struggle financially but after a year i',m earning as much as i was as a landscape gardener. I do however get much more of a sense of achievement, look forward to coming to work and have much more potential for advancement.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Costain? *

As with any company professionalism and enthusiasm is a must. Especially enthusiasm - evidence of a passion for your chosen field such as hobbies or personal projects are a big selling point to have in your C.V.