Engineering apprentice at Siemens

Acton
29th January 2016

8.9/10

During the first and second years of the apprenticeship, I was sent to college part time for a BTEC level 3 in electrical and electronic engineering and NVQ level 2 in performing engineering operations. The rest of the time was spent at the depot working with technicians on maintaining our fleets of trains. During these years I also completed placements in the stores at our depot and with the technicians at another depot. Currently I am in my third year where I am studying part time at college for a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering and working shifts at the depot.

I have learnt about the different systems of the trains and how to fault find. I am also more confident with speaking to people and more confident with my practical hands-on skills.

I am enjoying my apprenticeship and am very thankful for the opportunities it has given me such as gaining more qualifications, skills and knowledge.

4. How valued do you feel by Siemens?

I feel I am treated very well within my company and have been given plenty of opportunities to get involved with projects and also external events.

I feel like the programme could be better organized, I would have liked to have done more training courses than I have done at this point in my apprenticeship.

My training provider has been very understanding with problems I have faced and has tried to help me work through them. However, I do feel it would be more helpful to have someone to talk to at the depot instead of having to email other people and wait for replies.

I receive a lot of support from my managers regarding my studying and how they can help me. Every time I speak to them about a problem, I do feel a lot better coming out of the meeting.

My salary is very good considering my position as an apprentice and I get the opportunity to get a pay rise every year depending on whether I've met certain targets.

I represent the business very often through volunteering and company events. I have done a lot of careers fairs, science fairs and company events - including representing engineering apprentices at a meeting at the House of Commons.

9a. Would you recommend Siemens to a friend? *

I already have recommended my company to my friends as I feel like it is a fantastic company to work for and you get plenty of opportunities and you are valued very much.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Siemens? *

Be open to all the opportunities you are given and value all relationships within the company as you could need their help one day with a project.