Apprentice Test Technician at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains

Northampton

8.4/10

As a test technician I am trained to run engine dynos and test rigs. I have also spent time in the electrical workshop producing electrical looms.

Before I started my apprenticeship I had no practical experience. I have gained a lot of knowledge and developed a lot of skills since starting my apprenticeship.

I find the apprenticeship very challenging but enjoyable. Mercedes are also sponsoring me to complete my HNC alongside my apprenticeship so it is definitely a challenge but very rewarding

Imagine yourself working at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 3 roles at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains

4. How valued do you feel by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains?

Mercedes have recently taken on a lot more apprentices and students, so it can be difficult to be recognised or valued by the company as a whole. I do however feel more valued within my department.

The organisation of the programme was poor to start with but since then the structure seems to have been improved, as more and more apprentices seem to have been hired each year and more emphasis has been placed on the various student programmes

I have 6-weekly meetings with my training provider which are always very productive and helpful. I am set goals for each meeting which help me keep on top of what work I need to complete.

I have yearly reviews with my manager and 3-monthly meetings with a member of HR. This enables good discussion regarding my apprenticeship and any worries or complaints I may have.

Imagine yourself working at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains

I am very pleased with the salary and it is enabling me to build up some savings for further education should I not secure a job at the end of my apprenticeship.

A lot of employees organise activities outside of work, such as karting events and weekly cycling meet ups. We also have a yearly Christmas party and a family fun day organised by the company.

9a. Would you recommend Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains to a friend? *

Mercedes are very generous with the opportunities they offer and I feel as though I am given good support during my apprenticeship. It is a nice place to work and it is easy to get on well with the people who work here.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains? *

Despite my lack of practical experience I was still offered a role as an apprentice, I think mainly due to my enthusiasm and relevant education previous to applying. I would suggest that enthusiasm is very important and you should show a lot of it when applying to Mercedes.