Manufacturing Engineer at Rolls-Royce

Derby East Midlands
December 2015

Connect with Rolls-Royce

7.4/10

I work with technical documents including manufacturing instructions and drawings. Day-to-day I will draw up various documents depending on the manufacturing operations a drawing/part will require.

I have learnt how to model and draw, both manually and electronically using Siemens NX. I have also undertaken various tasks on machines such as centre-lathe, milling maching, CNC lathe, welding, etc.

I enjoy it very much, although the machining is mandatory even if you are going to be in an office at the end of it.

4. How valued do you feel by Rolls-Royce?

I feel valued as a person however you are well-known as the least qualified.

It has structure in some places but very little in others. It depends greatly on your team and where you are aligned.

You receive a reasonable amount of support however you are often expected to solve many problems on your own.

You receive a good amount of support from your employer although you are expected to try and solve certain things yourself.

The pay is very good especially if you are still living at home.

Yes, as there are STEM days and various Engineering seminars and training days.

9. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend?

It is a lot better than most apprenticeships and it prepares you greatly for working independently.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce?

Be prepared to not have all your questions answered when in the training school, and not always know where you are going. Be on time and look smart.