Finance Apprentice at Transport for London

November 2015

Connect with Transport for London

7.8/10

Finance Apprentice. I undertake different placements within Finance at TfL. I have worked in the Finance Services Centre, Reproting team and Bus Network Finance. My role as an apprentice is to learn what it is each different team does, and be a functioning member of the team.

I am studying towards CIMA qualification as well as a diploma with BPP. I have undertaken many internal training courses, including: SAP Finance, Management Accounting, Licenced Travel Ambassador (certified to work on Underground Stations).

The culture within TfL is on eof pride to be working for such an important part of the capital. I have yet to work with somebody I didn't enjoy working with, and I would say the whole apprenticeship has exceeded the expectations I started with.

4. How valued do you feel by Transport for London?

I have received two "Make a Difference" awards since working for TfL which help to make me feel very valued by the company. I am also aware of the time and effort put into running the Finance Apprenticeship scheme for the first time.

Given it is the first time the scheme has been run it is fairly well structured. There was a good induction, plenty of training in all relevant areas has been given and I feel very supported by the managers I work with, my scheme sponsor and all other members of staff. There were a few teething problems to begin with, and some of the placements I was supposed to go on were changed, but since then it has felt very well organised.

BPP are a very good training provider, and excepting one member of staff who seemed rather poor at providing support, they have been very good.

All aspects of support within TfL have been exemplary.

Travel costs are not an issue given I am given free transport. I can just about to afford to live taking in all other costs.

I play football with a group of people from work, this was advertised internally. Volunteering at Underground stations, particularly during strike action, is encouraged.

9a. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend? *

They are a conscientious employer, with good benefits and a well thought out and supported apprenticeship.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London? *

Prepare well as you would for any interview, and ensure you are yourself.