Quantity Surveying Apprentice at Transport for London

November 2015

Connect with Transport for London

I am currently a quantity surveying apprentice. I am in my 1st of 4 6 month placements. I am in a procurement office and have been given the task to work on a project around supplier relationship management. This gives me a good insight to the business and I get to go out and meet new people around TFL before starting my diploma in January.

I have learnt how to use new software and also developed my communication skills greatly since being here. I'm sure as I progress I will keep developing further.

I really enjoy it, it's a new area for me so I am very keen to leanr and progress within my role. I look forward to going to work every day.

4. How valued do you feel by Transport for London?

As an apprentice I was a bit concerned as to how people in the office would prioritise me but I have felt of a great value and everyone is enthusiastic about helping me and willing to answer any questions I have.

The programme itself could be better structured as it is a completely new way of the quantity surveying scheme being run. Therefore that is why there has been a delay in me starting my diploma.

I receive all of the relevant support I need and at the same time I get the right balance of support and being left to progress on my own. There are plenty of people I can contact for support.

Again, I receive plenty of support from my employer too. They really value their apprentices so it is easy to receive help and approach my employees.

As an apprentice I am very haoppy with ym salary. Also, I don't have too many costs work wise because one of the main perks of working for TFL is the entitlement to free travel that I have.

I don't quite understand this question. Opportunities within the job role I am currently doing? If so then yes there are a lot of companies that have opportunities outside of TFL.

9a. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend? *

I have only been an employee of TFL for 2 months and I can already recognise what a great company they are to work for. The benefits, the training, the long term opportunities and progressions you can make. Great company to build a career in.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London? *

If someone was to get a job, one piece of advice I would say is, don't try and make yourself look better by pretending you know what things mean etc. Even if you think asking a question sounds silly, always ask it. Everyone will help you and it's a much better way to learn things.