Quantity Surveying Apprentice at Transport for London

Holborn Central London & City
November 2015

Connect with Transport for London

8.9/10

I am currently a quantity surveying apprentice. I am in my 1st of 4 6 month placements. I am in a procurement office and have been given the task to work on a project around supplier relationship management. This gives me a good insight to the business and I get to go out and meet new people around TFL before starting my diploma in January.

I have learnt how to use new software and also developed my communication skills greatly since being here. I'm sure as I progress I will keep developing further.

I really enjoy it, it's a new area for me so I am very keen to leanr and progress within my role. I look forward to going to work every day.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 14 roles at Transport for London

4. How valued do you feel by Transport for London?

As an apprentice I was a bit concerned as to how people in the office would prioritise me but I have felt of a great value and everyone is enthusiastic about helping me and willing to answer any questions I have.

The programme itself could be better structured as it is a completely new way of the quantity surveying scheme being run. Therefore that is why there has been a delay in me starting my diploma.

I receive all of the relevant support I need and at the same time I get the right balance of support and being left to progress on my own. There are plenty of people I can contact for support.

Again, I receive plenty of support from my employer too. They really value their apprentices so it is easy to receive help and approach my employees.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 14 roles at Transport for London

As an apprentice I am very haoppy with ym salary. Also, I don't have too many costs work wise because one of the main perks of working for TFL is the entitlement to free travel that I have.

I don't quite understand this question. Opportunities within the job role I am currently doing? If so then yes there are a lot of companies that have opportunities outside of TFL.

9. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend?

I have only been an employee of TFL for 2 months and I can already recognise what a great company they are to work for. The benefits, the training, the long term opportunities and progressions you can make. Great company to build a career in.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London?

If someone was to get a job, one piece of advice I would say is, don't try and make yourself look better by pretending you know what things mean etc. Even if you think asking a question sounds silly, always ask it. Everyone will help you and it's a much better way to learn things.