Apprentice Journalist at Sky

£15,500 monthly
October 2015

My role is as an Apprentice Journalist in Sky Sports News where I rotate around all the different departments, learning skills in planning, production and digital media.

Plenty. Using different software, interviewing people, cutting/editing video, planning shoots, data research - the list is endless.

A lot. I get given the freedom and creativity to work in areas where I can play to my strengths, while also getting a qualification that means a job at the end of my apprenticeship.

4. How valued do you feel by Sky?

Varies. There is not great expectation put on me which has its pros and cons when it comes to delivering work succesfully. Depending on the person and department, the amount I feel valued varies.

Could be better. It has greatly improved in the second year of my apprenticeship at work as I am in the one department for the entire year. In the first year it felt chaotic though, not knowing I would be moving into different departments or what I was meant to be achieving in each place at regular occasions.

Quite a lot considering it is only one day a week. But due to the lack of contact time it can sometimes make it difficult to get support.

If I have any issues, I can go forward with them in a confidential environmenen and it tends to get resolved quite quickly.

Very good compared to other apprenticeship across the country, although living in London means that the costs are high - so it just about works out well.

Yes, I've had the opportunity to go off-site on many occasions.

9a. Would you recommend Sky to a friend? *

Good pay. Treated well. Great facilities/benefits. Also get to specialise in areas that you are most likely to succeed in.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Sky? *

Understand that it is a hard-working and intense environment (at times) and also be sure to be very flexible, but the amount of opportunities and the amount you learn is incredible.