Broadcast Operations Apprentice at Sky

October 2015

My apprenticeship involves me rotating around different areas. Currently I am working in Platform Control. This role involves monitoring streaming and uplinks. I am spending a large amount of time checking and chasing up VoD problems.

Since starting my apprenticeship, I have gained all knew knowledge in broadcasting. I have also developed skills in networking and time management.

I enjoy my programme very much and consider myself lucky to be working for a company that puts a lot of effort into the apprenticeship programme.

4. How valued do you feel by Sky?

I feel extremely valued by Sky; they are a great company to work for. They look after their employees very well and also put a lot of effort into the apprenticeship programme.

I am in the first cycle of apprenticeships in Broadcastcast Operations. Unfortunately this has lead to a lot of uncertainty among my coworkers and managers as to what we are meant to be learning/doing.

My training provider offers workshops to help gain more work related skills. My assessor is always on hand and extremely usueful if I ever have any issues regarding the apprenticeship.

My employer, and more specifically my line manager, offers ample support and is always very responsive and effective should I need any help or support from her.

Sky pays a generous salary to me. Which is enough for me to cover my day to day costs and living expenses.

There are always opportunities for us to partake in careers fairs and schools etc. to help promomte Sky apprenticeships.

9a. Would you recommend Sky to a friend? *

I would recommend Sky to a friend because I have gained a lot of valuable knowledge. Sky are also a very good company to work for and they treat their employees very well.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Sky? *

I would advise others that are applying to Sky to choose an area that interests them and go in with enthusiasm and a strong will to learn and develop new skills.