TFL apprentice at Transport for London

And the surrounding London area
1st September 2015

Connect with Transport for London

8.3/10

I am on a three year apprenticeship to eventually become a train maintainer for London Underground. In the first year my day to day role involved college and workshop based training using many different skill sets. Now in my second year I will receive on the job training I within many depots as part of a placement scheme.

During my apprenticeship I have learnt many new skills from working on electrical systems to operating light workshop based machinery such as lathes and milling machines. I have also developed my mathematical and electronics skills during my placement at college.

I enjoy my programme very much as we are learning new skills in an excellent environment which earning a competitive apprentice wage.

4. How valued do you feel by Transport for London?

I feel very valued by TFL as they have invested lots of time, money and effort into training us for our future roles within the organisation.

The structure of the programme is good as it allows you enough time to complete all assignments set. There are sometimes gaps within it though as if you are speedy you may finish before other apprentices and so find yourself with a bit of free time but personally I find that better then leaving work til the last minute and rushing.

We receive ample support within the apprenticeship. It is offered by our trainers and also our apprentice controllers when needed.

Lots as it is all linked with our apprentice controller. We are helped with any issues if and or when they arise.

The salary package for our apprenticeship is excellent and meets my costs. Its fair and rivals (in my opinion) the standard of living a 'normal' apprentice would have.

Yes as TFL is linked with different company's to offer you discounts on products, great pension schemes and even help with healthcare etc...

9a. Would you recommend Transport for London to a friend? *

As it is an excellent way of starting your journey to a new career allowing you a chance to learn new skills whilst getting a very competitive salary and benefits.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Transport for London? *

To be prepared and confident when going through your interview stages. Make sure you come across as yourself and explain why you chose this new opportunity but most of all if you are successful in your application and become a TFL apprentice work HARD! Hard work is noticed and you will reap the rewards!