Summer School Intern at BDO

£100 weekly
August 2015

Connect with BDO

8.3/10

I was given the title of summer school intern during my time at BDO. I had to perform a variety of tasks with a large number of different people whilst working in and out of the office. During my time out of office I was working with clients to compare assets and inventories as well as working with cash to compare invoices to ensure transactions went through. In the office I was working with people to prepare accounts and documents for a future audit which was to take place at a later date.

I have developed a number of skills during my brief stay within the company as I have had the chance to work with specialist software and develop my professional manner by working out on site with clients.

I have really enjoyed my time here as I have felt valued as an employee not just an intern. I have worked with a number of people who enjoy their jobs and have a good ethic to work with. I worked with different teams in audit, accounts and preparing documents for use at later dates.

4. How valued do you feel by BDO?

I felt valued at BDO as a normal employee, I was appreciated by employees and received gratitude for work I completed. I was involved in different tasks both inside and outside the office. I was also invited to out of work gatherings during my time which made it feel even more inclusive.

The programme is structured to an extent as you are working most of the time. The induction training was alright however it didn't give much details on what we were actually going to be doing. Once in work however you quickly found out what to do and you ended up busy most of the time except occasionally you may have had to ask for work.

I was given frequent guidance by a number of people if I encountered any problems relating to the software or not understanding what to do. I was given a 'counselling manager' who was able to help me if I was ever stuck on any program.

The managers and mentors are always willing to help if you have an queries regarding work or general queries about their work and job also.

I was paid for the two week summer school and also had travel costs reimbursed

Outside of work there are many opportunities to socialise with other members of BDO, however given I was only at the company for such a short time, I feel I cannot give an in depth view into this.

9a. Would you recommend BDO to a friend? *

They have a great collective feeling working with BDO and the office I was in was very welcoming, allowing me to mix with the group easily.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BDO? *

Practice online tests Prepare well for your interview