Summer School Intern at BDO

Ipswich

Connect with BDO

9.4/10

On the summer school programme offered by BDO I was given daily tasks to complete such as reviewing accounts and calling and casting etc. I was also given the opportunity to work with live clients including visiting the clients and sitting in meetings. The work experience has allowed me to experience the office environment and what it is like to work for BDO. I always had tasks and work to do so I was never bored or inactive.

I have developed my communication skills whilst working with other BDO employees and also other summer school students. This has consequently developed my team-working skills which is required in BDO. My excel and computer skills have been improved. I have also learnt new skills required to complete my work at BDO.

I really enjoyed my time with BDO because it has given me the valuable opportunity to spend time in the industry and inside a successful company. It has helped me to decide for my future career and I am hopeful to get on the school leaver programme now. The company culture is excellent! All employees at BDO made me feel welcome and were always willing to help me when I asked for advice or raised questions. Overall the programme has exceeded my expectations and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. How valued do you feel by BDO?

I felt valued by BDO because right from the start they empowered me and gave me responsibilities. I felt appreciated whenever I handed work to my manager or 'buddy' and my efforts were continually recognised and praised. I always had plenty of involvement within projects and I was pleased that I could input into the company.

The programme is well structured and organised. The team at BDO in the Ipswich office always had work ready for me and someone was always ensuring that I was ok. The induction offered was very good ad gave me good insight into the company as a whole. The training provided was excellent and I feel that I have learnt a lot. I had regular support and a good mentor system was set-up.

At BDO I had a 'buddy' who helped me when I needed assistance. However, all members of the team were giving me continual support and guidance but no one ever complained about having to help me which made me feel part of the team. The management were also very helpful and always supported me.

I did not choose to do the summer school based on monetary value. I chose it for the valuable experience however the salary has met my costs and BDO were wiling to cover my expenses.

I didn't attend the football tournament in Cardiff however there are many social opportunities like this offered by BDO. Besides this the employees are always doing events and arranging lunch etc.

9a. Would you recommend BDO to a friend? *

The experience was very good and valuable. It has helped me to decide for my future career and made me want to get on their school leaver programme.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BDO? *

Jump straight into it and just get fully involved and make the most out of it.