Funeral Director at Co-op

Durham

8.9/10

I am a Funeral Director. It involes, amongst a huge variety of functions, liasing with bereaved families, caring for and preparing deceased people, and advising and arranging on other services such as pre-need funeral plans and memorial masonary.

I have learnt a great deal of new skills, but I have had a large amount of progress in developing my social interaction skills over the course of the program.

I have really enjoyed the apprenticeship program. It has given me more opportunities than I had ever hoped for.

4. How valued do you feel by Co-op?

I feel like a very valuable asset to the Group. They have supported me every step of the way, and have given me a great amount of opportunities I never expected I would get.

At the first stages of the programme, there were a few teething problems with the organisation and structure, however these issues were quickly resolved and the programme progressed well.

I received all the support I needed. I particularly appreciated the work of my assessor Maria Cassee, who kept in contact at all times and even provided me with a mobile number to contact her out of hours if I need to.

I received a good level of support from my employer, they almost always gave me the time I needed to complete the relevant parts of the qualification.

My salary, being the same as that of a fully qualified professional Funeral Director, met my costs sufficiently.

There are a great number of opportunities outside of work that the programme has allowed me to take part in, ranging from team building activities to community activites and charity fundraisers.

9a. Would you recommend Co-op to a friend? *

The Co-operative Funeralcare has provided me with a very fulfilling professional career and have shown faith and trust in me as an employee.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Co-op? *

To apply to the Co-operative Funeralcare, I would advise that people look at their own personal attributes, and see if they have what is required for such as highly demanding profession, such as a level head in times of stress, empathy, people skills and professionalism.