Business Administrative Apprentice at DSTL

Salisbury
June 2015

Connect with DSTL

My role is to provide cutomer service to both internal and external stakeholders. My role varies with administrative tasks including scanning, organising, facilitating etc.

I started this apprenticeship with little to no administrative experience. I have learned various administrative skills in a supportive environment and can use them effectively in my day to day work.

i really enjoy the programme. It's a fantastic opportunity to learn administrative skills in a widely varying atmosphere through different deopartments. My skills and confidence have grown throughout.

4. How valued do you feel by DSTL?

I feel valued by DSTL. I am not treated like a stereotypical apprentice, i am supported and always thanked for my efforts. I recieved a Dstl Thankyou within my first year.

Very well organised. there is a specific training programme when you first start to enable you to gain the basic skills needed to get you through the day to day tasks and regular 1 -1s and appraisals help.

I recieve good support from my training provider and am on track to complete the NVQ level 2. I feel supported in any training ive taken part in throughout the year.

i receieve a great deal of support from my employer. There are many benefits to working here such as the flexi-working system and holdays. Appraisals and 1-1s help me to feel supported by my Team Leader and DSTL have provided many opportunities to expand my knowledge with support.

I feel i am recieving a fair wage for my work. Apprentices at DSTL recieve above minimum wage for apprentices and to earn less for a year is comfortable alongside the other benefits offered by Dstl.

There are lots of opportunities outside of work to get to know other colleagues. There are varioius events you can go to for networking opportunities. There is a commitee set up specifically to integrate new members into Dstl via Trips out etc.

9a. Would you recommend DSTL to a friend? *

It has been a fantastic opportunity so far and i am really enjoyig it. I have learned a lot and still have a year to go. Everybody is friendly - it feels like one big family here and i would more than happily reccommend it to a friend knowing they would recieve a great deal of support and a fantastic opportunity to start a brilliant career.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to DSTL? *

I would give the advice that it feels like a long time before you really feel settled here - simply as there is so much to learn. Give yourself 6 months to feel settled and get to know peoples names. Nobody is expecting you to settle before then and you will be supported for as long as you need it - you will always feel as though your contribution is valuable.