Systems Maintenance Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Solihull
26th June 2015

8.8/10

Shadowing the qualified maintenance engineers and assisting on breakdowns of components. Completing tasks given by engineers and developing core skills. Carrying out planned preventative maintenance on replaced components.

Too many skills to mention. Some from the top of my head include; electrical fault finding, wiring installation, lighting circuits, motor control and power circuits, 3 phase circuits. Milling machine work, lathe machine work, general bench fitting,pneumatics, hydraulics.

I enjoy it a lot. I look forward to coming to work and seeing what the day brings and what skills I need to implement and develop on the tasks that arise. I like keeping busy by doing a range of different tasks so my knowledge is broad as well as deep.

I somewhat valued as I know the company is suffering from a skills shortage of engineers in out country. My supervisors look out for me and make sure I feel safe and am progressing well.

The apprenticeship is well structured but sometimes we are left to our own devices a little too much and we lose track of certain parts of our knowledge so we have to go back and ensure we don't forget important areas of the department.

I receive a very good amount of support from my training provider. We are given the necessary work and training needed to complete our apprenticeship.

I receive a great amount of support from my employer. We hold regular meetings to review my progress and how the company can adapt to accommodate my training needs, this is an example of a good working relationship between me and my employers.

Excellent. I am able to live well on my salary but also strive to achieve more in line of work to gain extra responsibilities which comes with a higher salary.

There are many opportunities outside of work, for example, my employer offers an 'employee learning scheme' where it offers a considerable amount of money towards learning or developing new skills in our leisure time, from electrical and mechanical qualifications to learning a new language or go-karting.

Huge amount of different job available and interesting roles. The ability to be able to work with some of the worlds most luxury motor vehicles and not to mention the incentive to work hard and seek advancement within the company.

Be motivated, driven and ready to learn. You get a massive amount out of what you put in, so work hard, stay focused and enjoy where the company is taking you.