Automotive Technician at Jaguar Land Rover

Coventry

7.1/10

I inspect and prepare cars that are to be exposed to the press in any form along with cars that are going to V.I.P's. This include mechanical and body work replacing prototype parts with final parts. When vehicles come back from events these are given a 'health check' to identify any issues with it.

I am learning all the time about the different systems on the cars and how they work. I am continually learning to pay attention to fine details on all parts of the car including paintwork, body panel profiling and identification of any signs of mechanical issues. Performing mechanical maintenance is also something I am developing in.

I love the cars I work on, I am enjoy the role the working environment is generally good and the

This varies on who I am interacting with, sometimes it feels like I am left to fend for myself a little with my progression but there are people who are willing to listen to me and help me out.

The College courses can feel very disorganised at times, the changing of teacher part way through certain units has happened frequently and this can be disruptive. But this is most likely a rare situation. Assignments were not very well spread out so we ended up with a lot to do towards the end of the year which could have been avoided with better organisation

Tutors are always willing to listen to you and give you help. Most of them are very knowledgeable and are happy to help you understand things better or assist you in understanding what assignments are asking from you

I have a review every 6 weeks with a mentor who tries to help me with any issues. They also go out of their way to try and arrange other things such as placements to help you gain more experience within the company

It is a very well paid apprenticeship. Given my personal circumstances I would not have been able to afford to do an apprenticeship if the pay was at a 'typical' apprenticeship salary. JLR have afforded me the chance to do it by through a reasonable salary.

There are loads of opportunities presented to the apprentices to attend events such as careers fairs. There is a good spread geographically so it is fairly easy to do something within your local area.

It is a great company to work for with an exciting future ahead, progression within the company is encouraged and the chance to continue personal development is there.

Take your time through the application forms, think about the questions before you decide what to write. Ensure that you are willing to work hard to and willing to spend a lot of time learning and developing yourself.