Instrumentation Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Gaydon
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
26th June 2015

9.2/10

I am an Apprentice Intrumentation Engineer which works in prototype vehicle operations. Daily tasks consist of discussing jobs with engineers from customer departments. It is then my role to put together a job card and source Instrumentation equipment to kit a car out with temperature, measure and flow etc measurements. These measurements are then used to gather important test data for engineers to use for product development. I have many responsibilities (as many as any other engineer) but am supported if there is anything I require assistance with! I get involved with various research projects and also undergo my own projects as part of my degree programme so this can get me an insight into other areas of the business.

Gained Foundation Degree in Engineering, Working towards a BEng in Applied Engineering through the University of Warwick and also completing NVQ level 3 and 4. Through my job role I have been on Hybrid vehicle training courses as well as completing many in house training sessions on our equipment.

Really enjoy the variety of the job role as has a reactive nature and fault finding when things don't all go to plan. The team I work with are all friendly and always happy to assist if anything is needed! The company culture encourages growth and is fully supportive of training.

Feel extremely valued at jaguar land rover both by immediate management and upper management when completing various tasks outside of my job role. Reward and recognition is provided when you complete something to a high standard or out of the ordinary on a project so hard work is rewarded.

Well organised induction with a good deal of info to help with department choices etc. Training was reasonably well organised and now at University of Warwick, the programme is running extremely smoothly. The apprenticeship runs an Industrial training manager (ITM) system which is effective as discuss work and study and also assist with NVQ's etc.

As discussed above, an ITM is assigned to every apprentice who ensures training is going well and is on track. Any problems then can pass on to them and they will find an answer.

Manager is very supportive in my apprenticeship and allows me time to complete both work and study. Is supportive in terms of allowing me to see other sides of the business to gain a better business understanding.

Salary is excellent and increases with training. Meets all costs (living, travel, social etc) and allows you to save if you want to.

There are various groups ran through work and there is a gym and sports facilities at my site.

Excellent company to work for with massive capabilities to improve yourself and succeed.

There are 4-5 core competencies which are given to you on the apprentice website. Really try and get these across at every stage of your application process.