Trainee Quantity Surveyor at Laing O'Rourke

Other
24th June 2015

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

8.2/10

Taking out the role of an on site Quantity Surveyor (QS). Everyday task can be distributing timesheets to subcontractors, reviewing contracts, dealing with Client Instructions and valuating the subcontract works.

Laiing O'Rourke are sending me to university to study Quantity Surveying & Commercial Management on a RICS accredited course. On site, I have learnt a lot of general work skills, such as sending formal emails, dealing with agencies, clients and operatives, and problem solving

I am really enjoying the programme, as it gives me everything that I need: a university degree, and working experience.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I do feel very appreciated by Laing O'Rourke. They give a lot of backing to people on their development schemes, pushing them and looking to promote where possible. I know that as I develop in the company there will be opportunities for me to move up to more advanced roles within the business (i.e. Commercial Manager, Senior Commercial Managr, Commercial Leader).

The programme is well organised. We are all doing day-to-day jobs so there isn't too much impact on our jobs, however there are modules every 4 months or so for 3 days, based on developing ourselves in the business.

We do get a sufficient amount of support from the university lecturers, although this could easily be increased for the benefit of those on the course.

We recieve a lot of support from the employer, as they will understand that we are developing and need to carry out certain tasks, or have days out of work to study.

The salary is very good for a first job and for my personal day-to-day costs.

There are plenty of opportunities outside of work.

9a. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend? *

Laing O'Rourke are an acceptional company for the development of young talent in the construction industry and cover all bases.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke? *

You will need to sell yourself more than anything. You could potentially have all the skills in the world but if you are dis-interested, or work within yourself then people will not look to take you on.