1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am currently on the Cadet Programme as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor at Laing O'Rourke. I work on the Tottenham Court Road Crossrail station four days a week and go to University 1 day a week. This is a five year course which is paid for entirely by my company.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
A lot of new skills that are involved in the day to day life of a quantity surveyor.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
It is great, there are a lot of modules for each year on the Cadet Programme which involve team building activities and the support from the scheme leaders is sublime.
4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?
I have quite a big input daily to my project so I feel like I am valued highly at the project.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Very well, The communication and support are great.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
a lot more than I originally expected.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
More than my training provider because I am at the office every day.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
the starting wage is not massive, but it has annual reviews with potential to become a lot higher. It easily covers all of my costs. The company pay for my commute.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
A lot of volunteering as well as team building excercises such a football tournaments etc.
9a. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend? *
9b. Why? *
the benefits of woking for the company are massive.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke? *
Be confident and do your research.
More from Laing O'RourkeMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!