1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
After training, I've been out in the field solo working along side technicians in my area. It consists of going from house to house fixing faults and installing equipment etc.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Learnt many new skills, to do with cabling and telephony services. I have been developing communication skills with customers and with management.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I enjoy the day to day job, although you are put on quite a lot of pressure even though you are an apprentice. Study days are scheduled once a week/once every two weeks. Not much studying is done as we have lots of other admin to be doing, as well as looking through our statistics with our manager. We don't get to see the apprentice manager who deals with coursework that much (maybe once a month) so it is very unclear as to where we are at with it. It seems that the apprenticeship is not very well planned and there is too much to do in such a short space of time. A lot of apprentices have either left because of the stress of it, or have been sacked.
4. How valued do you feel by Virgin Media?
Some days you feel very valued, other days you don't.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Not very, too much to do in such a short space of time.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
A lot of support is given from our support manager and local team.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
Not very, especially as we're doing the same job as the rest of the technicians. Under paid.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
not that i know of.
9. Would you recommend Virgin Media to a friend?
The stress and pressure isn't worth the qualification,, surely there must be better apprenticeships.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Virgin Media?
More from Virgin MediaMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!