Apprentice Electrical Technician at EDF Energy

2011
Bridgwater
15th June 2015

8.8/10

Years 1 & 2 involve getting all basic knowledge needed for the job. Mainly theory. Then years 3 & 4 are spent on site, where you get to follow technicians doing jobs, and learn the practical skills as well as more knowledge needed for these tasks.

All the knowledge and skills i have learnt are new for me, as i had no previous experience in the industry ot job role. However it does allow you to develop skills such as presentations and confidence when speaking to people.

I found the programme enjoyable, as every day was different, and you always learn something new. There is no aspect of the apprenticeship i did not enjoy.

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

I feel apprentices are highly valued by EDF Energy, and we are reminded that we are the future, and in years to come we will be running the powerstation in place of the people who will have retired.

The first two years are structured well. The second two years spent on site are excellent. The time scale to complete the NVQ and Qualification Manual are sufficient and the opportunity to be out on the job every day is good.

We recieve support from our training provider when ever we require it. They are only a phone call away, and if we feel we need any help, they always give us the guidance we need.

We recieve plenty of support from our employers in all aspects of working life, from our health, to our training needs, to advice on day to day jobs.

I believe the salary meets out costs well. The apprenticeship minimum wage is much lower than the wage we recieve during out apprenticeship, which is a good bonus.

Outside of work, there are many opportunities to be involved, for example help in the community, or sponsorship. We also have a fun run every year, as well as an open day.

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend? *

It is a brilliant company to work for, and you get looked after well. There are many job oportunities, with many locations across the country, and jobs to suit everyones abilities.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy? *

I would advise anyone applying to work for EDF energy to not give up. IF you are not successful, try again! I feel it is the best company i have worked for.