Headend Engineer at Virgin Media

Birmingham

Connect with Virgin Media

9.9/10

I am a headend engineer required to maintain and fix any faults that may arise in various sites across the midlands, dealing with box internal and external customers to deliver the best service possible and help upgrade the network to be the bet.

I am working towards new qualifications in professional and computing systems which are almost complete, as well as receiving on the job training from an experienced mentor which develops the skills I need in my day to day role which allows me to do my job to the best of my ability. I have learnt a lot more about RF network and fibre technologies which we work on every day.

The help and support I receive within my team makes coming to work enjoyable as I am constantly learning new skills and I feel I have the confidence and backing of people around me which enables me to achieve my goals. It is also challenging as no two days are the same and things are constantly changing which allows me to meet new aims and strive to do even better.

4. How valued do you feel by Virgin Media?

I feel very valued in the apprenticeship programme as we are seen as 'the future' within the business and this is made quite clear. We receive a huge amount of recognition in anything we do as apprentices and are rewarded sufficiently too.

The programme has been well organised for me, with taske coming out regularly with realistic time frames for completion. We have regular meetings with mentors and managers to update us on our progress and then get any help when required.

My training provider is also my manager so is very approachable and supportive whenever I am in need of help, it is never too much for him to take time out to support me and is always contactable or will make time to give me support at a specified time that suits us both.

Nothing is too much for my employer as they provide everything that is needed to do my job well and I never feel embarrassed to talk to anyone within the company, whether it is a colleague or a director!

We are very well paid for apprentices, as well as being provided with a company car, laptop and mobile phone. I work from various locations so all travel is provided.

We receive a volunteering day once a year to help with charity events or local events that are a worthwhile cause, as well as other fundraising events organised within the business. As a group we are visiting Kenya and Tanzania for charity which has been organised within our apprenticeship. We also have a great work/life balance so enjoy enough time outside of work.

9a. Would you recommend Virgin Media to a friend? *

Everything you need is right here! With great pay, benefits and the attitude towards you, it is an ideal place to work and be happy for many years.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Virgin Media? *

Be yourself on interviews, the company is not looking for trained robots, but people who are willing to learn whilst also having a good character to fit into a team. I went into the interview with no knowledge of what to expect, which was good as it is something totally different so be open minded and enjoy it as it will be noted by the people doing the interviews!