Permanent Way Apprentice Engineer at Mott MacDonald

York

7.9/10

I am training to be an apprentice civil engineer but at work I act as a permanent way design apprentice engineer. I assist the lead engineers with general cad work, complete clearance analysis by using clear route and also assist with the completion of signal sighting forms.

I have been on 2 microstation training courses, passed my first year at college and am aware of the basic tools in software such as microstation, clear route and Bentley rail track. I am also more competent in excel

I enjoy my programme and the team I work with is great however sometimes I feel my learning is not ad varied as some people from college who have rotation programmes in place.

4. How valued do you feel by Mott MacDonald?

I feel very valued by my team and also by manager especially now that I am completing fee earning work

The college course is fantastic although the days for me are very long if I include all travel time because I leave the house at 6:45 and I aren't back till around 9pm at night. The support is great from college staff, mentors and my nvq assessor however again I feel that a rotation programme would assist in completion of the nvq

They are also very helpful if you go and speak to them whilst at college but if you need them outside of work then they will always answer your emails/and if need be calls.

The whole team at MM will always listen to you and do their best to come up with a solution if you are unhappy with something.

It is good compared to other apprentices in other diciplines i.e beauty, however by the time I have taken out my living costs, the fuel costs and the park and ride costs each month I don't have much left.

There is lots of social events which you can attend held all year round

9a. Would you recommend Mott MacDonald to a friend? *

They offer you a lot of support and opportunities throughout career development

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Mott MacDonald? *

Be confident throughout your interview process. They know you will be nervous so just do your best.