Personal assistant/ Team Assistant at Unilever

Surrey, Leatherhead
11th June 2015

Connect with Unilever

8.7/10

Processing invoices, meeting invites, setting up meetings, booking meetings, setting up conference calls, ordering samples, dealing with customers, sending out prizes for comp winners

Time management, accountability, confidence (if that is a skill), Level 3 NVQ in Business and Administration, Functional Skills level 3

Loved my team, so welcoming and so helpful! Loved the company, there was always someone to help you or learn from. So many brands so there is always something you can help with or get involved with. I helped with samples for a magazine, so I helped deliver them to over 1 million customers in the UK and Ireland with ASOS

4. How valued do you feel by Unilever?

I feel very valued. I always received feedback and was told how well I was doing, as well as, anything that could help me improve. There were also so many internal training schemes I was signed up for because I was on an apprenticeship and here to learn. It felt like everyone wanted to help me get more experience and learn!

I think that some of the course work could have been laid out better. Towards the end we were told that you needed to pair things up when a lot of use had been wasting time by doing it separately. I also feel that we needed an assessor their more often; I would have liked every other month. I wished there was more external courses, such as team building or optional courses like time management or being assertive. I did like that we had our own pastoral care officer that we could talk to and raise any concerns. I liked the speed in which course work was marked and the feedback provided by my assessor.

A lot but they were not based near us so it was difficult at times. However, they made it very easy just to call if there was an issue at any time (I had frequent calls with my assessor and felt like she really cared and wanted me to do well)

My line manager was always there when I needed her and my team were excellent!

I could survive on my wage, however, I felt that there could have been more done for me and a few others. I come from West London to Surrey, Leatherhead and it did cost a lot and took a lot of time. Yes, I did except the job knowing this but when train fairs went up the salary did not.

There were lots to get involved with via Unilever but not a lot from the apprenticeship scheme. We could have done site tours, meet other apprentices from other parts of Unilever, had more training externally or team building.

9a. Would you recommend Unilever to a friend? *

Fantastic experience, great breadth of knowledge, amazing people, a widely recognised qualification and to have Unilever on your CV is just priceless

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Unilever? *

Do your coursework, network, be yourself, be energetic and most importantly be willing to get a lot of information thrown at you!