Electrical Maintenance Technician at EDF Energy

2010
Heysham

Connect with EDF Energy

8.7/10

I am currently an Electrical Maintenance Technician based at one of the UK's 8 AGR Nuclear Power Stations. I maintain the electrical plant on site to help the station to generate electricity both safely and reliably.

I have learned a wide variety of new skills including electrical testing on high voltage equipment, fault finding and general electrical maintenance

I have enjoyed my program and I am very thankful I was given the opportunity to develop myself as a vital part of one of the UK leading energy suppliers.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at EDF Energy

4. How valued do you feel by EDF Energy?

The EDF energy Apprenticeship program has been running for a number of years and many of the participants have gone on to climb further up the ladder, the value gained from being part of this process is extremely beneficial within the company

The program is well established with new positive developments taking place every year. The first 2 years spent at HMS Collingwood near Portsmouth provide the classroom based learning necessary to give us a running start into working on site. The final two years are spent working alongside the station staff, gaining vital experience whilst completing the NVQ and perhaps undertaking a HNC in engineering

Babcock training in Portsmouth offers a range of support not limited to actual class room support but encourage personal development through the chance to visit various European countries as part of a cultural broadening project

When selected for the apprenticeship you are looked after by a Station based Apprentice Co-ordinator who is there to deal with any issues you may have. They are also there to offer information and guidance to ensure that you are making progress towards completing the apprenticeship process.

RateMyApprenticeship is currently advertising 1 role at EDF Energy

In the first two years of the scheme you are based at HMS Collingwood and HMS Sultan. Whilst there all of needs are met by the company; food, accommodation and transport to college are all provided leaving your monthly salary to be spent on other recreational activities. In the third and fourth year you return to you site where you receive a very competitive salary.

During the first two years in Portsmouth you are given a large number of different opportunities to do many different things. You have the chance to visit a number of different European countries, learn French and even visit the new PWR nuclear site in Flamanville, France

9a. Would you recommend EDF Energy to a friend? *

EDF Energy has given me so many opportunities not only to develop myself in terms of a life long job but has offered me the chance to do things I never thought I would be able to do.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to EDF Energy? *

I would say that anyone who is interested in the scheme needs to do their homework. Employers want potential applicants to know their stuff about the companies they want to join. EDF energy is part of the wider EDF Group and the sky is the limit for those who have the drive to chase it.