Purchasing Engineer at BAE Systems

Blackburn
10th June 2015

8.6/10

In my apprenticeship i am working in the procurement function of BAE Systems.The apprenticeship gives me lots of oppourtunities to work in different environments so currently i am working in a pricing team. I am ringing suppliers to get prices for parts.

I have greatly increased myt confidence while i have been at BAE. BAE has pushed me out of my comfort zone on the Outward Bound Course as well as pushing me to ring foreign people on a daily basis. This has also improved my commuication skills which means i can now speak to anbody with no problem of getting my point of view across.

I am so glad that i joined the programme rather than college. Everyday is different at BAE and it gives me oppourtunities that i would not get to experience if i was not in the compnay. I like how varied the roles are and all the different jobs that i have to do.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

BAE make me feel very valued as i am treated like an adult rather than a child. I always feel as if i can talk to anybody and ask any questions that i want without feeling stupid at any point.

My programme is very structured. i have regular meetings with my assessor to make sure i am progressing. I also have set objectives to complete in my placemnet so that i know exactly what i need to do to gain evidence for my NVQ.

I get lots of support from the assessors at Preston Training Centre. I feel as if i can always go to my assessor with any problems that I have in the business. The assessors are always there to give any advice in any situation that i may be in.

I receive lots of support from BAE. They get us to attend college every other week to complete courses and they also have a distinguished team to go to with any problems. HR are always there to answer questions and make sure that the apprenticeship is running smoothly.

As i am only 17 i don't have many outgoings so my salary currently covers all the costs that i have. However when i start driving i think that i will have less disposable income and will need the extra income that the payrise provides.

BAE has lots to do with the community. There are lots of challenges that are available to complete and lots of oppourtunities to go on. I have recently joined a committee to help organise a annual quiz that will raise money for BAEs partner charities.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

I absolutely love the apprenticeship and how different every single day is. Being able to go around the business and look at how all the different aspects integrate is a fantastic way of gaining knowledge on lots of different topics.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

I would say that it is very important to research BAE SYSTEMS to find out what they do before applying. Having a good knowledge of what they do and the different aircraft we manufacture is a vital part of the business and it will stand you in good stead if you do get a place on the scheme.