Technical Apprentice at BAE Systems

Preston

9.0/10

This varies with each placement as each placement is completely different from one another. I am currently in a systems and testing placement so my day generally involves going out testing different equipment on the jet and coming back to the office and recording findings.

From the start of the apprenticeship, I have learnt and developed by skills massively. I am so much more confident as a person in both my day to day life and my work, I am more organised, I am able to problem solve much more effectively and work independently.

I thoroughly enjoy the programme. It is very clear to everyone I speak to about my apprenticeship that I am so enthusiasic about it. It is something that I feel suits me well and I have been able to grow into a career in it.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

This can vary a lot. As sometimes I feel much more valued than other times but in general I do feel valued. I don't necessarily do things in my day to day work to obtain acknowledgement from the company or anyone else. I want to come into work and be able to do my job well and when I do this I feel valued to myself.

I feel that the programme does have a good structure behind it, however, I feel that sometimes it should be able to be much more flexible to accomodate for the differences in people. This would cater a much more unique programme to each person and therefore would be much more effective in my opinion.

I have an assessor in the training who offers me fantastic support. Any problem, issues or concerns I have had in the past he has no problem listening to them or discussing them with me. I discuss my career at BAE with him and he supports me in every way that he can to allow me to gain the best from my apprenticeship.

I do recieve really good support from my employer. The company, as a whole, are very supportive of apprentices. Many of the employees were appprentices themselves so the majority understand how important they are to the company.

I feel that the salary I receive is very adequate for the job that I do, while I am learning. It allows me to be able to afford a car, to commute and for social use which I don't think I would be able to do if I didn't work for BAE.

Very much so. We are always encouraged to get involved in activities outside of our usual day to day work. I have definitely been involved in a good amount and the experiences have been incredible.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

Definitely. I always express to people that coming into an apprenticeship at BAE is one of the best things I have ever done and feel like others could benefit from it as much as I have.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

I would say that it is not for everyone. You have to really want to do it and be passionate about your job. If you are then you will succeed. I am fortunate that I love my job. If not, find something you are passionate about and chase that.