1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Apprenticeship in Communication Electronics and meant working within an workshop team, working on prototyping of new equipment
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Yes have learnt many skills, improving on some. Specifically the mechanical skills I did not have before.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
Yes enjoyed throughly, working with DSTL means you get to be part of interesting work that changes everyday.
4. How valued do you feel by DSTL?
Yes they value my opinion and input. Even as an Apprentice your given the chance to put your stamp on the work you do, as you may have a better solution that no one has thought of before.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
It worked well with the block leave to the placements to the training provider. Meaning you gained lots of skills in the time you left, without flitting backwards and forwards.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
The training provider QinetiQ I felt was the only downfall. There training didn't really link with the work I was completing and the provider had issues with lack of staffing during my time there and struggled to teach us in some cases.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I recived lots of support to; go on extra trainings to grow skills, imput into important jobs and to try out working in different areas.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
Yes the pay is great with lots of added benefits as you are working as a Civil Servant.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
Yes lots of groups you can joing that meet outside of work. A group called STEPs that can help you gain knowledge of DSTL in your early months at DSTL.
9. Would you recommend DSTL to a friend?
Great people to work with and you gain lots of skills within the apprenticeship and further on!
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to DSTL?
Be passionate and don't be afraid to get involved and volunteer for anything.
More from DSTLMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!